Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The fat lady in Lichtenstein!

There is something magical about living in open bay barracks.  This past week found me on Camp Achen in Grafenwohr training with about 30 other officers and senior enlisted men.  I don't know why, but the barracks tends to bring out the frat boy in even the most well rounded gentlemen.  Conversations in the barracks and field environment always turn to sex, drinking stories, and flatulence.  Through in a few Ranger stories and you have a party.

The week in the field was a good time to validate the setup of personal gear and to pick the brain of each person to our left and right.  I learned a lot this week and got to know some of the teammates a lot better.

The training last week was very good.  We had solid days from 0730 until 2000 nightly with topics ranging from first aid to crew served weapons familiarization.  The Army has really stepped up their simulation efforts when training soldiers for IED defensive measures and counter-countermeasures.  One event I wasn't crazy about was the MRAP rollover trainer.  It reminded me of dunker training and the experience of being strapped into an aircraft underwater.  I'm not a fan of small spaces so the rollover trainer was particularly fun for me.

Today as a reward for a hard week of training I took another road trip with Chris Fuhriman.  We did four countries in 14 hours and 930 km.  Today was a lot of fun.  We drove down to Austria and Lichtenstein via Nurnburg and Kempton.  We returned through Garmisch and Munich.

We stopped in Lichtenstein for a stroll and lunch.  Check out the picture of the fat lady below.  Pretty random I thought.


I've uploaded some more pictures from the training this past week and the travels today.  There is also a good picture of my friend Mike below that was taken on the fourth of July.  He and his neighbor were gracious enough to invite me over for a burger and fireworks.  You really find out who your friends are when the chips are down.



So we are within a pay period of going back to Afghanistan.  I was thinking the other day about the last time I was there and how much has changed since then.  If I fly straight through to Afghanistan, it will be 2 years, 10 months, and 27 days since the last time I was there.

Two birthday shoutouts from this past week.  My mom turned 35....prettier than ever of course.  Happy birthday to Mrs. Rachel also turned 35 this week.  Happy birthday both of you.




Have a great Sunday everyone.

S.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the birthday shout out! YES, 35 years young...indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete